Racism & the Legacy of Trauma in White Communities: Understanding, Confronting & Transforming It to Ignite Personal & Social Change
Course Description: Mental health researchers and clinicians have become increasingly aware that the effects of trauma—individual and collective—suffered by one generation are passed on to subsequent generations. The devastation of racism and oppression impact not only communities of color, but white communities, as well – until ALL are free, NONE are free. This course examines the legacy of trauma and how it shapes white identities, beliefs, values, attitudes, perspectives and lives, and explores effective strategies to break destructive inter-generational cycles to ignite personal and social change.
· Define inter-generational trauma
· Examine the origins, symptoms & effects of racial trauma in White communities
· Deconstruct the concepts of whiteness and race
· Describe the means by which trauma is intergenerationally transmitted
· Discuss the intersection of trauma and identity
· Review the legacies of racial trauma in communities of color and Holocaust survivors
· Employ adaptive strategies to ignite personal & social change
· Increased self- and other awareness
· Increased self-confidence and self-efficacy
· Enhanced ability to effectively engage in race-related dialogues
· Enhanced ability to effectively use self as an instrument of change
Order Bump: $19.99 Course Companion Journal
The information contained herein cannot replace or substitute the services of trained professionals in any field, including, but not limited to, medical, psychological, financial or legal matters. You alone are responsible and accountable for your decisions, actions and results in life. By your registration for this and other courses and use of our programs or website at any time, you agree not to hold Mary Canty Merrill, PhD or iLevelUp Consulting, LLC liable for any such decisions, actions or results at any time.